Caldo de Pollo is a comforting chicken soup filled with vegetables and simmered to perfection.
With all that is going on in the world right now, I knew I wanted to make a comforting dish for my parents while I was home visiting them last month. Caldo de Pollo fit that description. Because they are elderly and at greater risk, I went home a few weeks back before all the quarantines and social distancing was even a thing to make sure they had enough toiletries and food to last them a while without them having to go get it themselves. They are elderly and both have medical conditions that are at risk, not to mention dementia is playing a part as well. I’m so glad I started planning early by getting them food, water and toilet paper before I even left town.
I thought I would be able to get all the ingredients for my dads caldo de res when I got to town but holy mackerel it was tough. So tough I gave up and decided to make Caldo de Pollo instead. And then it was hard to find the chicken. All I wanted was chicken drumsticks or thighs and you would have thought I was looking for a golden egg. And now I can’t get eggs. Eggs are a staple in my house.
For a minute I thought I would have to make Caldo de Nada with all the trouble finding protein. The good thing with this recipe is you can add your favorite vegetables or leave some out. There’s a lot going on with this soup but that’s what makes it so good.
I completely forgot to make some Spanish rice to go with it. I don’t think I even warmed up tortillas for my folks. They wanted some as soon as I had it ready. I love recipes like this because my dad taught me how to make Caldo de Res and with substituting chicken for the beef, I now have another recipe that I will always associate with him. Caldo de Pollo is the perfect soup to help you feel better. This is a great comfort dish in these trying times. Hopefully it will bring some comfort to you.
P.S. I ended up finding the chicken drumsticks in the freezer section. Hopefully you can have these ingredients delivered to your house to make this soup.
Caldo de Pollo
25 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 25 Total Time
- 12 drumsticks, skin removed
- 16 cups water
- 2 packets caldo de pollo bouillon cubes
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 half onion
- 4 corn on the cob, cleaned and cut in fourths
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled and diced in large pieces
- 1 lb bag carrots, cut in 1 inch pieces on the diagonal
- 1 squash, cut in half rounds
- 1 zucchini, cut in half rounds
- Cabbage, 1/2, cut in large chunks
- In a large (or 2) stock pot, bring chicken and water to a boil. Add onion, bay leaves and chicken bouillon. Season with salt and pepper. Boil for 20 minutes. Remove onion and bay leaves.
- Add carrots, corn, and potatoes. Let boil then reduce to simmer for 30 minutes, covered. Season with salt and pepper. Add squash and cabbage and cilantro. Let simmer for 10 minutes.