Creamy Cornbread and Chicken is the perfect comfort dish to get you through the cold months of winter.
It is no secret that cornbread is one of my most favorite things to eat. Ever. I think it’s because I’ve always loved the Thanksgiving holiday, especially eating my mom’s cornbread dressing. She could make it look so easy yet make it taste out of this world.
This recipe was one of the first recipes on my site and I recently heard that song “Where I come from – it’s cornbread and chicken” and that’s all it took to make me want some cornbread and chicken. I don’t know why I hadn’t made it in so long but my goodness this is a favorite. My niece was my taste tester all three times I made it and bless her heart, she is just like me because she is not tired of it yet. We may just have this on Christmas Eve Eve Eve.
While it is not the most photogenic casserole dish, the taste will more than make up for it. It’s creamy goodness comes from the cornbread dressing and the soup on top keeps it so (excuse me) moist. I especially like to reheat it in the oven so it retains some of the freshness over the microwave. Using a Rotisserie Chicken also helps to make this dish a quick one to put together. I like to make the cornbread the night before and let it sit out. I’ve even been known to chop up all my veggies the night before too! Who am I? For Christmas I’m anticipating a mini food processor (because who wants to pull out a big clunky one for a few veggies) which will make this even easier. I’m all about easy and comfort.
Cornbread and Chicken
15 minsPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 15 sTotal Time
- Cornbread, crumbled (2 boxes/packages cornbread made according to package directions)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 3 c chicken breasts, cooked and chopped or pulled (I used Rotisserie chicken)
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saute pan, melt butter. Add celery, onion and green pepper. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Crumble cornbread. Add cornbread to a large mixing bowl then add sauteed mix. Season with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Add egg and cream of mushroom soup to mixture. Mix to combine thoroughly. Add in chicken and mix to combine.
- Place half of cornbread mixture in a baking dish. Combine soup and chicken broth. Pour about 1/4 of soup mix over chicken and cornbread. Place the remainder of cornbread mixture on top. Pour another fourth of the soup mixture over chicken and dressing.
- Place dish in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.