The traditional Christmas Crack gets updated to a German Chocolate Christmas Crack. Toffee, Coconut and Pecans have never tasted so good!
Christmas baking has commenced at my place. Every year I make sweets after sweets after sweets. All of my family members have their favorites but I always like to try something new every year. Oh don’t get me wrong, I’ll still be making Snickerdoodles, Spritz Cookies and this trifle. But I’ll also be updating some old recipes to give them a little kick this year. Stay tuned for that. But to kick off the holidays I present this German Chocolate Christmas Crack.
My holiday baking started off early this year. I began experimenting during Halloween. I took this take on the classic Saltine Toffee aka Christmas Crack and pumped it up. You know the one where you melt sugar and butter and pour it over saltine crackers. I first saw Trisha Yearwood make it on her show years ago.
I can never leave well enough alone and decided to make it into a Samoa/German Chocolate Christmas Crack. Oh. Em. Gee. The addition of the toasted coconut, caramel and nuts on top is absolutely divine and totally addicting.
I brought this to our office party and it was an absolute hit. I’m already planning to take it to a couple of Christmas parties I have going on this year. It’s super simple but tastes like it took a lot of time to meld the flavors.
The hardest part is letting it set!
German Chocolate Christmas Crack
Traditional Christmas Crack gets updated to a German Chocolate Christmas Crack with the addition of pecans, coconut and even more caramel.
15 minsPrep Time
15 minsCook Time
8 hrs, 30 sTotal Time
- 1 sleeve Saltine Crackers (I used 48 so I filled the entire jelly roll pan)
- 1 c butter
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 - 12 oz bag semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 c caramel bits
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 c pecans (or mix of pecans and walnuts)
- 1 c coconut
- Sea Salt
- 1/4 c chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp shortening
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place coconut and nuts on cookie sheet. Toast for 6 minutes, tossing a couple of times.
- Cover jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Add Saltine crackers side by side until pan is filled.
- Using a medium pot, melt butter and sugar. Bring to a boil and let boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Take pot off heat and add vanilla extract and salt. Mix together.
- Pour mixture over saltines and spread until all saltines are covered.
- Place in the oven and bake for 6 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and sprinkle chocolate chips all over the crackers. Let sit for 5 minutes then spread chocolate with an offset spatula. Sprinkle sea salt over chocolate.
- Add caramel bits and milk to the microwave and heat in :30 second increments until melted. Stir after :30 seconds and continue to heat until melted. Drizzle half of caramel over chocolate.
- Sprinkle nuts and coconut on top. Drizzle remaining caramel on top.
- Optional: Melt chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave in :30 increments, stirring after :30 seconds until melted. Drizzle over crack.
- Loosely cover and let sit in the refrigerator overnight or until set. Crack into pieces before serving.