This Lemon Icebox Cake is so simple to make and is perfect for your final summer get-together. A creamy, light dessert with a hint of lemon flavor.
So I wrote about this earlier but I basically took the summer off. And to make up for that and ease my way back into your screens, I’m sharing this Lemon Icebox Cake with you today.
But why is it called a cake when it’s not really a cake. It’s more like a pie but can a pie be rectangular?
Anywho, so I unintentionally took the summer off. I didn’t go to the grocery store for a big haul for like a month. Most of my summer was spent going back and forth between my hometown and my current residence. With so much going on, I just didn’t have the energy to cook anything. It may have been the heat but in all likelihood, it was because I was burnt out.
I spent way too much on eating out and buying stuff at the pharmacy because I couldn’t face the grocery store. I had like a mental block about cooking and just gave myself permission to go with it.
Ok, I did go to the grocery store once to buy hot dogs and chips for a get together at the pool with some friends. But I didn’t even bring out condiments or any extras like chili – or even plates. See! A mental block.
Now that summer is almost over, it’s only appropriate that I share a lemon dessert with you. Lemons are my favorite. I want a lemon tree so dang bad but I don’t know if it will grow on a patio in the Texas heat. I have dreams of having a house with lemon trees out back and just going out and plucking one every day.
This Lemon Ice Box Cake is so simple to make and it comes out so creamy and delicious. It has the perfect hint of lemon – almost like a little tease of lemon flavor.
I even suggested to my sister that she make this to take to her in-law gatherings for the holidays because it is so easy to put together. I’m going to be on a roll with these ice box cakes so watch out. I may even come up with a holiday version.
Lemon Icebox Cake
15 minPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
6 hr, 15 Total Time
- 16 graham crackers
- 2 - 8 oz packages Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 c sweetened condensed milk
- 2 lemons, zest and juice from lemons
- 3 c Whipped Toppings
- Spray an 8x11 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Cover bottomm of pan with half the graham crackers.
- Mix together cream cheese and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
- Pour in sweetened condensed milk, zest and lemon juice. Mix to combine.
- Fold in 2 cups of whipped topping.
- Pour half the mixture over the graham crackers. Top with remaining graham crackers then with remaining mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for six hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and top with remaining whipped topping.
Full disclosure: I used three drops of yellow food coloring to get a more yellow color on the filling.
This is similar to the cake pan I used (Amazon affiliate link).
Leave a Reply