This dessert is a staple for summer but the addition of Nutella takes it up a notch. Make this Nutella Strawberry Pie for your next get together.
I love strawberries. So much so I put them in practically every grocery order. They go in my overnight oats or just a handful with lunch. These little berries are so versatile. But my favorite is probably this Nutella Strawberry Pie.
There is a bbq place where I live that sells Strawberry Pie and every time I see a picture of it, those berries are just piled so high. It always calls to me.
The first time I made Strawberry Pie, the crust was just a little soggy so I had to find a solution for that. Hence the addition of a good smear of Nutella on the baked pie crust. How much you put on it is up to you and whether you want it rich or rich rich. I like it medium – not too little and not too much.
How to make the filling- Stovetop or Microwave
I went with the microwave version of this because it is too hot to be standing over a stove. You can definitely make it on a stovetop over medium heat until the mixture becomes translucent but the microwave is so simple and quicker for me.
And I tried to cut some calories by using sugar free gelatin and sugar free Cool Whip for the topping. It totally works. I’m like an old lady with so many Cool Whip containers used for storing left overs.
Tips for storing Strawberries
Here is a little tip I learned on TikTok: to store your strawberries for a little longer shelf life, wash your strawberries in some distilled vinegar and water (I just throw in about two teaspoons of vinegar to enough water to cover the strawberries. Remove the strawberries and set them to dry. Once dry, place a paper towel in the bottom of a large mason jar and put the strawberries in the jar. Top with another folded up piece of paper towel. Close the lid and place in the refrigerator. I just grab some and go with this easy storing method.
I hope this pie makes its way into your summer plans.
Nutella Strawberry Pie
4 hr, 10 Prep Time
3 minCook Time
4 hr, 13 Total Time
- Deep dish pie shell (cooked)
- 1 1/2 pint strawberries, hulled, cleaned and cut in half
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 small box (3 oz) sugar free Strawberry Jello gelatin mix
- Sugar free Cool Whip
- To make the filling: Combine water, cornstarch and sugar to a liquid measuring cup or a bowl. Whisk mix together until smooth. Microwave for 2-3 minutes. Mixture will start to bubble and become translucent and thick.
- Stir in the Jello powder and whisk to combine.
- Spread Nutella over cooked and cooled pie crust, up to the edge. Place strawberries in pie and then pour mixture over strawberries. Depending on the size of your pie shell and how many strawberries you actually have, you may not use all the mixture. Place in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight to set.
- Enjoy with a dollop of Cool Whip on top.
Leave a Reply