These Veggie Migas Tacos are what you have if you combine my favorite hash with my favorite childhood breakfast.
Growing up we always used to have Migas for breakfast. Always. Mom would stand over the stove and just tear off pieces of corn tortillas and throw it in the skillet. That’s something I always had fun doing for her in the kitchen. These Veggie Migas Tacos are a tribute to her and our Saturday morning family breakfasts.
Once I got older I forgot about the wonderfulness that is Migas until I’d go home and we’d order breakfast from the nearby Mexican restaurant for a quick breakfast. I would get the Migas plate that had crispy Migas, a side of refried beans and potatoes. Oh and you can’t forget the flour tortillas and bacon. Mmm mmmmm. That’s good stuff.
At some point I started eating more hash for breakfast on the weekends. My thought is that this was my attempt to try and get in some veggies in my diet. If you’ve followed along here, you know I always have sweet potatoes and Brussel sprouts on hand. Those two vegetables have been my favorites for years now. I really need to try more vegetables to give me some variety in the kitchen.
One weekend when I was trying to come up with something different for breakfast, this mashup of my favorites sounded good together. It was a way to bulk up my breakfast and still have veggies. I love breakfast/brunch on the weekends. It’s like my favorite thing.
Putting this mashup into a flour tortilla was just a little indulgent for me because anything goes in a taco. And I love that you can use any of your favorite vegetables in place of my favorites. Or add some bacon or sausage to it too. You do you.
Veggie Migas Tacos
10 minsPrep Time
30 minsCook Time
40 minsTotal Time
- 3 Corn Tortillas, diced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 c sweet potato, diced (about half a sweet potato)
- 1 c Brussel Sprouts, ends cut off and diced
- 1/4 c bell pepper, diced (any color)
- 2 Tbsp onion, finely diced
- 2 eggs and 2 egg whites
- 3 Tbsp milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 c low fat Mexican blend cheese
- Flour tortillas
- Optional: Cilantro
- Add olive oil to saute pan and heat over medium heat. Add tortilla chips to oil and fry until crispy. Remove from heat and place on paper towel lined plate.
- Add sweet potatoes to pan and saute for 15 minutes, frequently. Add Brussel Sprouts, onions and bell peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until sprouts and potatoes and cooked through. Remove and place on paper towel lined plate.
- Whisk eggs and milk and season with salt and pepper. Turn heat to low and pour in egg mixture. Add in tortilla chips and stir to scramble eggs.
- Sprinkle in cheese and remove from heat. Stir to combine and melt cheese.
- Warm tortillas in microwave or on a griddle (or cast iron pan).
- Layer migas and veggies into warm tortillas and top with cilantro if desired.